Who is Julian Mueller? 

Julian Mueller is a sophomore majoring in computer science at Penn State. Julian currently serves as a student intern at The Pantry, and his main responsibilities include helping clients, checking guests in and out as well as tracking food. He also works to ensure the shelves are stocked appropriately.

Former Lion’s Pantry or Food Pantry Involvement:

• 5 Years of Food Pantry Involvement (ongoing).
  • I have been an active food pantry volunteer in my local community since 2017. I got involved while visiting the pantry as a member of my high school Rotary Interact Club. That first visit really opened my eyes to the problem of hunger. Something clicked for me, and ever since, I have been offering my support in a variety of ways. Last summer, I took on an internship at The Pantry to help them evaluate operational efficiencies and we were able to make some significant changes in a short period of time.

Other Involvement and Extracurriculars:

• Engineering House Webmaster — Executive Board Member 2022-23

Why did you decide to join The Lion’s Pantry team by applying to be a student intern?

I saw this opportunity and decided it would be a great way to bring my past experience to the Lion’s Pantry. Working at The Lion’s Pantry felt like it would be a natural fit and would give me a chance to expand my knowledge, meet new people and help make a difference in the Penn State community.

What special projects do you hope to focus on this semester as an intern?

One project that I have been working on has been talking to local stores to seek a more stable supply of environmentally-friendly bags to be used at the Lion’s Pantry. I also try to give suggestions as applicable to improve processes within The Pantry.

What are you looking forward to bringing or implementing to The Lion’s Pantry in the upcoming academic year?

I look forward to helping streamline the processes of the Lion Pantry to make things more efficient, and easier on the guests, managers, and interns alike.

What is your favorite part about working with The Lion’s Pantry?

My favorite part is helping others who need it and interacting with new people all the time.

If you could talk to an incoming student interested in joining The Lion’s Pantry, what would you like them to know about this organization?

I would let them know that Lion’s Pantry is very open and welcoming, and we try to offer food and other items to those who need them. I would encourage them to get involved by volunteering on Sundays or consider starting a drive for donations.