About Madison Jackson

Executive Board Position: Outreach Director

Past Lion’s Pantry Experience: Volunteering

Majors: Microbiology

Other 2023-2024 Involvement:

• Minority Association for Premedicine Students
  • Girl Gains
  • Kwapis Lab (Laboratory Assistant)

A Q&A with Madison

1) What are you most excited about The Lion’s Pantry this year? 

• This year, I am the most excited to work with different organizations to bring in more funding and resources for the Lion’s Pantry. I am excited to start the journey of expanding the reach of this organization to make the lives of the Penn State students easier.

2) What initiatives, campaigns, or goals would you like to see during the 2023-24 academic year? 

• During the 2023-24 year, I would like to coordinate an event to educate students on the shuttle options to reaching the Lion’s Pantry, improve the communication between organizations that coordinate agreements with the Lion’s Pantry, and to improve directions to different cub pantry locations.

3) Why should new students join The Lion’s Pantry? 

• New students should join the Lion’s Pantry as an opportunity to advocate for the needs of who culd be their friends, colleagues, professors, or anyone who is a part of the Penn State community who is impacted by food insecurity.

4) What does food insecurity mean to you? 

• To me, food insecurity describes the situation of a person who has little to no access to healthy, nutritious, or any food options. To me, a basic human right and necessity is access to food sources for themselves and their families. Disproportionate access to food, especially healthier options have led certain communities, such as communities of color, to experience different life threatening diseases such as obesity, high blood pressure, and others in alarming rates.

5) What excites you most about the position you hold for The Lion’s Pantry during the 2023-24 year?

• For my position personally, I am excited to use my position to strengthen communication between different organizations and our own.

6) Please share one of your favorite memories from The Lion’s Pantry. 

• One of my favorite memories from the Lion’s Pantry would be working as a volunteer for the first time. I was happily greeted by Heidi who guided me through the process of organizing the pantry for students and was able to engage with other service minded students who were dedicated to eradicating food insecurity on campus.

Some Fun Facts About Madison

Favorite Comfort Show: Scooby Doo or Grey’s Anatomy 

Favorite Comfort Book: The Inheritance of Orquidea Divina

Favorite Way to Unwind After a Long Day: Reading

“Go-To” Fun Fact: I am a die-hard J.Cole fan.